Shaltz Farm Home
We believe in the quality of our products. Therefore, we give this guarantee for everything we sell and do:
If you are not completely satisfied with our products,
we offer you the choice of your money back
or the substitution of a similar product
of equal or higher value.
We also guarantee that everything we raise is free of chemicals, and raised with minimal impact on the environment:
Sheep, Pigs, Chickens:
Vegetables, Herbs, Fruits, Nuts:
- Our animals have free access to the outdoors year round.
- Our sheep are grass fed. They are on pasture 6 months of the year, on grass hay the rest of the year. We use grains only as nutritional supplements as needed, such as during late pregnancy.
- Our pigs and chickens are fed a custom mix of grains from a farmer who uses no pesticides on his fields.
- No chemicals of any types are added to the grain mix--no hormones, steroids, antibiotics, etc.
- We provide free choice commercial (non-medicated) and natural kelp mineral supplements. Because it's not mixed with their feed, the animals can eat just what they need.
- Our animals are not routinely fed or injected with medicines except our sheep receive standard vaccinations. Our animals receive no routine wormings, steroids, hormones, antibiotics, or other medical supplements.
- We use antibiotics only when an animal is actually ill with a bacterial infection, which has only happened two times in over 3 years.
- We use no commercial nitrogen-based fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides, fungicides, or other chemicals on our land or the foods we grow.
- We add soil amendments such as sulphur, gypsum (calcium sulphate), and phosphate, which are needed for good pasture growth, when dictated by our soil test results.
- The sheep naturally provide manure in the pastures, and we add composted manure to our garden beds.
- Because our crops are well fed by the compost, we have few bug problems. When we find bugs, we simply pick them off and kill them by hand.
- We do not use Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis), as we feel it will encourage the evolution of resistant insects.
- We do not use floating row covers or other synthetic-fiber barriers because we do not believe it's right to use more artificial products.
- We rotate our vegetable garden beds every year on a 4-year rotation plan (legumes, leafy vegetables, fruiting vegetables, root crops) to avoid problems with diseases and insects which can overwinter in the soil.
- We do not use (or own) large tractors. Most work is done by hand. We have a tiller to break up the ground and work in compost and cover crops.
- We use cover crops and chipped wood to mulch areas and prevent weed growth. The rest of the weeds are pulled by hand, hoed, or mowed. We use no herbicides of any kind.
In all our endeavors, we use the federal organic program standards as a guideline for what we do. We do not meet all the organic standards because we also emphasize sustainable agriculture. It is as important to us to reduce the use of fossil fuels as it is to meet the organic standards. Where there is a conflict, we lean in the direction of sustainable agriculture. Because there is often a conflict and because of the cost of certification, we are not planning to become certified organic at the present time.